Monday, August 21, 2006

Technical Writer makes list of ten surprising six-figure jobs

So, I had a friend of mine email me today asking how it is that I make six figures as a technical writer. I laughed, then went to read the link he sent me. You can see for yourself on forbes.com. After laughing, I then went to check out last year's STC Salary Survey. There was a smattering of six figure salaries there, but most were based on several years of experience, or have a PhD. So, can anyone tell me where Forbes is getting their information? Am I the only technical writer not making six figures?

Keith Hoffman
President - STC Four Lakes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On certain contract jobs in past years, I have made well into six figures. However, that kind of paycheck involved a good hourly rate and lots of overtime.

The "fat" contracts seem to be harder to find in the new millenium, but there is no reason that a competent Technical Writer with a few years experience shouldn't be pulling in $60K to $80K gross salary per year.

One caveat -- you must be willing to travel/relocate to best location for employment.

Happy trails...


W.J.Worthington
Senior Technical Writer
Ohio, USA