Thursday, November 02, 2006

Listen to Our First Edition of the STC 4 Lakes Podcast!

STC 4 Lakes Podcast Series
Podcast - Interview with Traci Kelly from UW 11/02/2006
My interview with Traci Kelly from the University of Wisconsin Technical Communication certificate program.

Listen in by clicking the link above. No iPod required. Traci is helping the studens organize their own technical communication organization, which will eventually be affiliated with STC, and is also looking for help. In the spring semester, she is teaching a class titled "User Manuals and Software Documentation." She has four things in mind:
  1. Would any members be willing to contribute hardcopy examples of user manuals/software docs that I could use as examples in class?
  2. Are there any small projects that members might be willing to share and let a team of students work on as a "real" case?
  3. Could members donate any time to speak to my students about the processes that they follow to develop docs for manuals or software support?
  4. Would any member be willing to speak to the TCOM folks about globalization, global Englishes, patent writing, or grant writing?

Keith Hoffman - President, STC Four Lakes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much Keith for the interview and podcast demo. Regarding Tracy's requests, I "may" have something to contribute as examples of hardware or software docs but I can't tell whether my real world examples are pertinent to advanced teaching. My docs mean a lot in my work environment but they're very tailored to our infrastructure and the content is meant for mass consumption. For example, how to use wireless laptops, PDAs, remote computing access, PDG software, etc. So in terms of "technical" writing this would be considered light weight as compared to medical, engineering, or scientific writing. I'm open to exploring this if Tracy thinks this would be relevant. But with a student population that is 90% engineers, I have my doubts.

Maria Herro said...

I'd be willing to talk about the processes we use to create our software manuals. I could also talk about our globalization strategies, but since we are just getting in to that, our strategies are mostly theoretical right now. By the spring time they might be more solid.